The German Liedertafel Club was founded by German traders on 28 June 1856. It started off with 21 members in a small building in North Bridge Road, near the present Raffles Hotel. Its membership was opened to Germans or German-speaking people. At that time, there was little entertainment for the Germans, and their social activities were centered around the club. The club was later renamed the Teutonia Club (Teutonia Klub).