Fort Canning Cemetery was the first burial ground for Europeans in Singapore. Located on Fort Canning Hill, the grounds encompassed two cemetery sites. The first site was used from 1819 to 1822, and the second from 1822 to 1865. Fort Canning Cemetery was closed in 1865, and eventually converted into a park. The former cemetery area is now known as Fort Canning Green.